Friday, December 4, 2009

SARAH

"Beautiful enough to attract rulers in the ancient world, Sarah could be strong-willed and jealous. Yet, Sarah was considered a loyal wife who did what was right and who didn't give in to fear."

Sarah can be found in Genesis 12-21 and Galatians 4:22-31.

7 comments:

  1. While Sarah was physically beautiful, I found her jealousy and lack of tolerance for Ishmael and Hagar to diminish her inner beauty in my eyes. She was the one who selected Hagar for Abraham, and even though Hagar got somewhat "uppity" with her, she was still the mother of Abraham's first son. I felt that should have allowed Sarah some tolerance.

    I was happy for Sarah to be able to miraculously bear her own son, Isaac.

    So, we are all children of the freeborn woman....you can't pick your mother...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah was a loyal wife to Abraham even giving him her servantmaid, Hagar, to lay with in hopes that she could bear him a child which she did. Sarah could not hold that jealousy and that was the beginning of the end for Ishmael and his mother as they were told to leave.God looked more favorable on the freeborn Sarah.
    Sarah laughed at the idea of having a child when she was told that she would bare one within the year. This in my eyes showed that she was not as faithful to God as Abraham was. I was happy that she bared a son for herself and Abraham, Isaac, child of the promise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah laughed and doubted God could make a child for her. I think it teaches us to "walk by faith" and trust God's timing. Sarah was doing God's will without doing God's way. He saw her present faults yet HE knows her future faith.
    Sarah's faith grew just as ours does when we see promises fulfilled. God will be gracious with us when our faith is weak just as he was with Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah was an amazing person! She was totally devoted to her husband, even to the extent of sending Hagar to him.
    This seems to me to have been a bad decision. Perhaps if she had let God control the situation she could have spared herself the sadness she felt after Hagar bore Abraham's first son.
    God knows always when it is best for a child to be conceived (or not) in any marriage.
    I agree with Julie - God gave Sarah the courage to endure and learn. With her faith came the child she so much desired to give to Abraham.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jacque
    Sarah doughted God to give her a child,but yet Gods will did come true and Sarah was given her child. This passage shows me how we must keep trusting in Gods, and our life will be in a better place. Perhaps not what we planned but always in a better place of peace.God gives us what is best for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that even though Sarah "laughed" when she heard that she would deliver a son, she must have come around, because she made it into the "hall of faith" chapter in Hebrews 11.
    "Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed and was delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful who had promised".
    If I will believe in the promises the Bible gives me, I will be extremely blessed. Sarah was blessed, even though she was as human in her faults as we are, at first point of not believing. That gives me strength and hope-for her to turn completely around in her way of thinking-means that I can too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patience, trust, and faith...If Sarah had these in God, she would not have had to endure the pain and sorrow that she did. God gives us peace if we just allow him to do his work.

    Sarah has taught me to never give up on my dreams. Pray without ceasing. God may ask me to wait, but in the end I will always have joy.

    ReplyDelete