Friday, December 4, 2009

EVE

"Eve came into the world perfectly at peace with her God and with her husband, the only other person on the planet. She lived in Paradise, possessing every pleasure imaginable. She never knew the meaning of embarrassment, misunderstanding, hurt, estrangement, envy, bitterness, grief, or guilt until she listen to her enemy and began to doubt God." 

Eve can be found in the book of Genesis 1-4.

8 comments:

  1. In reading Genesis 1-4 I feel a renewed understanding of our relationship with God. How great can He be to create all that he did and then to create us to be a part of it.

    In respect to Adam and Eve and their role in our lives, I feel that we, even today, are much like them, in that we still continue to struggle to follow the word of the Lord.

    Adam and Eve, being the first husband and wife, can teach us a few things. It is interesting to me that Eve could lead Adam to destruction. Even now, women can be either destructive or constructive to their husband.

    In reading these passages it makes me think a bit more about what kind of wife I am. It makes me think that my role as a wife is so very important, and that I need to more closely follow the word of the Lord in all my words and actions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi All, I got a little side tracked with Thanksgiving yesterday so this is late. But here goes.

    I loved reading about Eve. I had never given much thought to her except to think of her as eating the fruit and enticing Adam to do the same. I know I would have probably done the same in her circumstance. But reading the scripture about her, I found myself seeing her in a new light. I focused on her as a mother. A mother who lost a child actually two children. I focused on her pain at the thought of one child murdering the other. It must have been so devastating and hard to overcome. Then I read that she eventually had another son named Seth. I don't think That I ever knew that Adam and Eve had three sons. So I really enjoyed looking at Eve in a whole new light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the assignment and did not know what to add about Eve that was not already mentioned in your email. I am a first timer in bible study and I hope I'll get more comfortable as the weeks go on. Maybe viewing what others have written will give me the help I would need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading about Eve almost makes me feel bad about not being a better wife and life partner. But on the flip side, more importantly it makes me WANT to be a better wife and partner, mom, friend, employee, etc. I need to learn to share more with my husband instead of bearing all the weight of our life myself. I suppose if I really didn't want to share the weight of life with anyone I should have remained single.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In reading Genesis I am taken by the fact that bad choices can impact our own lives and many of those around us, the infamous "rippling effect" . It also has me going back to Fr Barry and recognizing the importance of healing our family trees. We have been given a second chance at being successful as children of God. Thru this reading I see the importance of our roles as women, our choices can make or break our family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How often we are tempted by the devil and his trickery. If given a chance, wouldn't we all want to be like God? God speaks to us day in and day out yet we listen to that little voice in the back of our minds twisting our thoughts. Eve wasn't in this alone. Adam was right there beside her. I think the message here is to choose your friends wisely so they can help steer you away from darkness and help keep you traveling in the right path.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scripture
    And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden (Gen. 3: 8).

    Observation
    Have you ever considered what we as women have in common with Eve? Aren’t we all just representations of Adam and Eve if we look in the mirror? We’ve all ignored God at one time or another- We are women like her made in God’s image

    We are disobedient
    We succumb to temptation

    Application
    When you are living outside of God’s way we make choices that cost us. Relative to the verse above, we either hide and/or carry the burden. As women, many of us have experienced the same as Eve: marriage, childbirth, sorrow, joy, temptation… Eve’s story teaches us truth, the damage we do to ourselves and to others, and consequences that arise.

    What temptations surround us that mirror Eve? There is Satan’s method of temptations and there is our own response to that temptation. Do not engage yourself with the enemy (Satan) and be the ultimate authority in your response. Easier said than done perhaps, but just for this week, or for one day list your temptations. How many vast choices surrounding us that we might not give a second thought!!!

    Prayer
    This week I will pray for the women around me that we all focus on the desires of God; this is what he wanted before sin came in. May he continue to be merciful and gracious, may he grant us the grace to continue to trust and obey. When temptation arises, may YOU alone be on our hearts and YOUR words on our lips.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading this passage I realize that God created us in His pecfect image, and that its our actions that causes the flaws. In todays society we are surrounded by witness of the devil with me being the center of importance. But when ever we turn our actions of caring or thoughtfullness to others, such as our spouse,family or others, that good feeling we get inside is Gods love, and what He intended us to be like. Sounds so easy but yet I constantly struggle. Life is not about me but about the others that I have been blessed with.

    ReplyDelete