Friday, December 4, 2009

HAGAR

"A foreigner and slave, she let pride overtake her when she became Abraham's wife.  A lonely woman with few resources, she suffered harsh punishment for her mistake."

Hagar can be found in Genesis 16; 21:8-21 and Galatians 4:22-31

5 comments:

  1. How many times do we feel we don't have a choice? Hagar knew she made a huge mistake by becoming Abraham's wife. Yet she turned to God not once but twice for his comfort and salvation. What faith she must have had to return to Sarah, her abuser, because God told her to. Then she and her son found themselves homeless like so many women of today. Her heart was aching at the thought of her son suffering and yet God heard her cries. We are so blessed to be able to give our kids so much. This woman was crying for his very life.

    Hagar's story reminds me that God always hears us and to never give up faith.

    I pray that all women who are struggling with abuse or despair will cry out to God because he is listening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hagar the baby making machine er... surrogate mother. Her story tells of oppression, hopelessness and promise. I am amazed by her courage and endurance. Her story is also about us- how one might turn on someone who has given their all. It might remind each of us how we turn to God, away, back, away and so forth, yet he remains faithful to us in the midst of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story of Hagar tells me once again that no matter how I may fail there is always hope if I turn to God for help. He will never abandon me - no matter in what way I may fail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the story of Hagar it shows us that God hears our cries and will come to us. He will not turn His back on us but will instead comfort us and show us what needs to happen in a way only God can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I struggled with this one all week. I couldn't get past laying with another .. I believe God will never abandon us, but knowing if I am hearing God's voice which has static already, I realize I need to learn how to tune in better with more readings of the Bible..

    ReplyDelete